It’s finally summer! I have been looking forward to it for months! And not just because of our record-setting rain this winter. The schedule we have is fairly exhausting. School, speech therapy, school, occupational therapy, more school. You get the idea. We still have therapies during the summer, but planning around 3 hours a week is a lot easier than planning around 20 hours a week.
I feel like we have so much freedom these next 2.5 months! There’s so much I want to do, I made a list to see how much fun we can squeeze in. Some things we’ve already started, some are already planned, and some might not happen, but that’s okay.
- Grow some of our own food – Cormac and I planted our garden in April and for our first attempt, I think it’s going pretty well! We’ve already harvested some of our spring stuff, and things are growing!
Cormac and Teddy are certainly most excited about the strawberries. We’ve got a whole 4×2′ bed of them and they’ve started producing like crazy over the past week. We grew some, ahem, very baby carrots that I will pretend are artisanal.
And plenty of lettuces for salads!
Hopefully we get a decent tomato harvest this summer, and Cormac specifically requested we grow watermelons and pumpkins. I’m not so sure about those but they’ve sprouted at least, so we’ll see.
- Hike: we’ve got a visit to Rainier scheduled and I’d like to do a couple shorter hikes with the boys, like Twin Falls in Snoqualmie and maybe Franklin Falls again.
- Ride the Issaquah Trolley
- Go to (at least one) Mariners game
- Outdoor concert. This one is easy because they happen every tuesday across the street from my house – I’m weirdly excited about that Creedence cover band.
- $1 movies with the boys at the theater by our house
- Backyard makeover – in progress! I built a music station thing for Teddy since he loves banging on things and making noise.
I picked up most of the items at Value Village and found a piece of wood in our front yard (yes it looks like a junkyard on our lot). It’s a hit with both boys.
And Cormac’s “construction site” behind the shed is almost complete, but he couldn’t wait to dig in.
We also got a new jungle gym dome climber that is a hits with boys of all ages. (Garden in background)
I have a few other ideas in the works for the yard too.
- Go back to Lummi Island for a weekend.
- Take the clipper up to Victoria, BC for a weekend
- Pedalheads Bike Camp for Cormac!
- Picnic at a new park
- Daytrip to Bainbridge to check out the Bloedel Reserve
- We’re pros at making popsicles, but this summer I want to master making ice cream with my new ice cream attachment.
Hopefully we’ll strike a good balance between lots of fun planned activities and spontaneous free play. What are you doing this summer?