Seattle Scenes

We had a pretty picturesque weekend here. We started things right Friday morning by celebrating our recently incarnated “Doughnut Friday” tradition at Mighty-O, which are the best cake doughnuts in Seattle. (But Top Pot rules the yeast doughnut game.)


The far-away look on his face is due to a garbage truck loading in the distance. We had a few playdates on Friday, ran some errands, and then Brent got home. After a healthy chopped salad for dinner, I made the executive decision that the continued 90 degree weather called for ice cream. We headed down to Fremont and got some frozen custard from Old School.

20140711_185945That strawberry shortcake sundae was pretty amazing, but so dense and rich I was unable to finish it. Deciding it was still too warm and too early to head home, we walked across the street and watched boats go by in the ship canal.


I actually had to work the night shift Friday, so I left the boys at home and spent a (quiet!) 9 hours at work. Night shift means I got to watch both the sunset and the sunrise over the city skyline from the nurses station.


Not a bad view if you’re stuck at work til 6am, right? On mornings after  I work the night shift, Brent hangs out with Cormac and lets me sleep from 7am-noonish. He’s usually even nice enough to leave the house so I’m not woken up by a not-so-quiet toddler. Saturday morning they walked over to the U-District farmers market and grabbed lunch ingredients and came home right around 11 as I was waking up. Then B made us some smoked salmon salad and swiss chard for lunch. Sleep and lunch – what a keeper that man is.

After Cormac’s nap, we (I) felt like we needed to get out and do something. I suggested just riding the ferry over to Bainbridge and grabbing some dinner or something. I figured it’d be a fun little excursion for Cormac, given his love of boats (and everything else that moves). Brent agreed, although according to him, in his head he was thinking, “man, this is going to be annoying.” As usual, I was right. He was wrong.


Cormac loved the ferry ride, and the breeze on the water was so cooling on such a hot, sunny day.


Cormac loved running around the sun deck, and then became obsessed with trying to lift the poles.



He was seriously cracking us up.


We walked around “downtown” Bainbridge for a bit and, since none of us were super hungry, just grabbed some refreshing sorbet from Mora. Cormac couldn’t wait to dive in. He got so excited that even his feet got in on the action.


Such a crazy child. The ferry ride back was equally awesome and gorgeous.



And because Cormac loves us and knew his poor mother had been running on 4 hours of sleep, he slept until 9:30am on Sunday! I’m really good about eating our meals at home during the week and cooking dinner most nights, but weekend breakfasts are, for some reason, my number one “eat out” meals. So we went out for breakfast. Obviously.

We always see crazy lines out the door at Morsel when we’re at the farmers market in the U-District and I had just learned they opened a Ballard location like 4 days ago. Hoping people were unaware of the new location, I suggested to Brent we try to grab breakfast there.

It was breakfast sandwich nirvana. Seriously. Guys. You should go.


I got the Spanish Fly and it was my everything. Alas, it was also another delicious thing too rich for me to finish. Luckily Brent was there to help. He had the biscuits & gravy, but said he’d get a biscuit sandwich next time. Duh. And Cormac had basically a cup of raspberry jam with a side of biscuit.

Brent figured since we were already in Ballard that we should head to Golden Gardens and hang out at the beach for awhile. Cormac and I agreed.



Brent and I are, by absolutely no stretch of the imagination, “beach people.” We don’t like sand. I can barely swim. Brent burns if he even thinks about the sun. So I have no idea how we created such a water-loving beach baby.



He was content to run around, play with sand and march off into the water with no help. We had to keep a close eye on him and do plenty of chasing.



We eventually made our way back home, but Cormac wasn’t done with the water just yet.


We did plenty more splashing in the backyard before nap time.


And Cormac was kind enough to share his pool with Lucy.

It’s been such a great weekend, and I really feel like we’ve been making the most out of this summer and ending the day a bit dirty and a lot exhausted. Guess that’s life with a toddler. I still can’t believe it’s the middle of July and Monroe Birthday Week is only a couple weeks away! And then my friend Ross is coming out to visit Seattle! And then we’re going on vacation! Gah! Life is flying by!

Now Brent is bottling beer he brewed a couple weeks ago and I’m contemplating bed. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend too!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *